Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Them Bokeh Blues

My camera just can't go there. That's probably for the best, since photography is a discipline for me, to learn how to see as interesting and beautiful a place I don't naturally connect to.

The trouble with bokeh is that it makes an image into an icon. Really good bokeh behind a figure shimmers very much like an icon, especially the mosaic icons. But the atemporal effect is just the opposite of what I'm trying to do. It's essential that I learn to see what's remarkable in this time and this place, and not get a nice picture that could be anywhere.

It does force me to really be conscious of the frame, especially since I'm not cropping. That's okay. My husband's grandfather was a well-known photojournalist in NYC from Prohibition to the early 70s. He's been gone a while, and never saw digital or photoshop, but one of the things I remember him saying about his work was to find what was important and then take everything else out of the frame. It's the visual equivalent of Strunk & White's "Omit needless words." But where I am is needful.

No comments:

Post a Comment